Do you want to know about Panda Pediatric Neurology? First, you should know what is Panda. Here is a short overview of panda.
What Is Panda?
- PANDA is the abbreviation of pediatric autoimmune neuropsychiatric disorders associated with streptococcal infections.
- This disorder was found twenty years ago in 1990.
- PANDA is mainly caused by the reaction of autoimmune to the streptococcal disease.
- A child might be infected by the PANDA when tic disorder or mental disorder appears by scarlet fever or strep throat.
- Tic disorder become dangerous by the Strep infection(Scarlet fever or Strep throat)
- The signs of symptoms of PANDA appear often in the night and children become moody or irritable and show interest in separation from beloved one or from parents.
- CTB(Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) is the best solution to cure PANDA.
Causes Of PANDAS
The strep bacteria live in the human host and hidden from the child’s or teenager’s immune system for a long time. These are very old organisms. It covers itself by the molecules on its cell wall to look identical like molecules on the child’s skin, brain, and heart tissues. By this hiding, Strep bacteria can’t be detected for a long time and this hiding is known as “Molecular Mimicry”.
Child’s body recognizes these molecules of strep bacteria as a foreign molecule and the immune system of the child start producing antibodies by this effect. The immune system of the child also reacts to the human host molecules just because of molecular mimicry.
PANDA can also be developed in the teenage and rarely after the age of 3.
Signs & Symptoms of PANDAS
How can PANDAS be spotted?
There is no lab test where PANDAS can be detected or spotted. PANDAS can only be diagnosed by the clinical diagnosis. Diagnostic criteria are used to detect PANDAS and healthcare providers plan for this criteria to spot PANDAS. Following is the detection criteria of PANDAS. The following is the treatment criteria.
- Availability of a tic disorder
- The pediatric beginning of symptoms (age limit is from 3 years to the teenage)
- An episodic process to detect Strep Bacteria
- Relation with group A Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infection
- Relation with neurological abnormalities
- worsening of signs
If the signs of PANDAS are present for more than ten days, blood tests should be done to document a preceding streptococcal infection.
PANDA Pediatric Neurology
To cure the children’s nervous system Panda Pediatric Neurology is used by the health care providers and doctors. The PPN is the special branch of medicine in which healthcare specialist deals with the PANDAS symptoms in the child’s nervous system. In this child’s health care branch the neurologists keep an eye on the strep bacteria and stop them to develop fake molecules.
To prevent developing fake molecule in the immune system of the child, Different Episodic criteria of PANDA pediatric neurology (A health/medical journal) is used.
- Availability of tic disorder or separation behaviors or OCD(obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Sudden start or signs different in intensity
- Link with neurological abnormalities, Like bad changes in emotional behavior, abnormal behavior, Bedwetting, and other personality changes occur.
- The pediatric beginning of symptoms which is from 3 to 17 years.
- Relation with group A Beta-hemolytic streptococcal infection.